Saturday, October 13, 2007

3 Years Ago


My life changed forever. Every fall we get to mark this great event with the ladder going back up and the pine needles coming off the roof. For those of you that don’t know the story it was this ladder and this roof at this time of the year that I fell and broke my back 3 years ago. Talk about a life changing experience I went from being in the best shape of my life to lying on my back and looking at all the cobwebs on the ceiling, a true trainwreck. So lets see what I have accomplished and learned in the past 3 years. I have gone from a person that was on total disability from work, bedridden addicted to pain medication and sleeping pills to being fully recovered healthy individual, back to work as an adapted physical education teacher, able to mountain bike and ski and do almost anything I want. I have learned that with God in my life anything is possible. I was able to get an artificial disc as part of a FDA clinical trial, am drug free, working on my masters in Special Education, and when the time is right I will become a mother to a very special little girl.
I had a lot of time to lie around and think of what I was going to do with my life if I had a second chance. Difficult situations help us to learn that we can do so much more then we ever thought was possible. I thank God everyday for what he has done in my life especially in the last 3 years. Oh ya there is one more thing I have learned to do and that is to ask for HELP and never get on the roof when you are home alone. What are friends for but to help you with those tricky home improvement project.

7 comments:

Paula said...

PRAISE GOD!! What a testimony. Is that Will up on the roof, tell him to be careful and tell him that Hannah misses him. Call me if you want to hook up for dinner this week, I have a coupon for the Blue Water Bistro.

Joannah said...

You are one inspiring woman, Paulette! Nothing can keep you from your goals!!!

Kim said...

You are a very special lady...
What a story...I am sooo glad that something sooo bad turned into a GREAT thing..
Can't wait to see you holding your little girl..
Take care
Kim

Anonymous said...

Who's that macho hunk on your roof?
The lord sure does provide what we need, but in His time.
I love to do things for others and you needed your roof cleaned...Amazing.
Some people would call it coincidence, but not me.

Willy

Robin said...

3 years! And good for you that you can ask for help now. I cannot imagine how scary that was three years ago!
So glad things are better now and the miracle of medicine and God have healed you.

Blessings!

Special K said...

It was 3 years in Aug/Sept for me too. Another thing we have in common. :)

And I'd imagine you think of it the same way I do. As horrible, difficult, painful, humbling as it was and in spite of the scars (both physical and emotional) I wouldn't change it. Because these experiences made both of us better people. Happy 3 years!

Anonymous said...

So you are waxing philosphically. You make your every move a prayer and God will shower you with blessings. Mom & I continue to ask God to shorten your wait for your precious child. In the meanwhile, we will enjoy Shell Beach together; eat turkey, make turkey and mashed potato sandwiches, and watch the waves roll in. If we are lucky, the waves will be small and kayaking will be possible. Luv, Dad