Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Happy Birthday Meme

It’s my Grandmother’s 99th birthday today. She is the matriarch of our family and can still run the show let me tell you. She was threatening to leave us a few weeks ago so I took a trip to visit her she is 3 hours away. I told her she had 2 options to stick around and wait for me to bring Annalise home or if she were to go she would have to take care of her until I could get to her. Well it looks like she will be sticking around for a while.

Meme emigrated from France to San Francisco when she was 18 years old. Her sister left first at age 16. Meme was sent out to make sure she was OK. What could be better on the 1920’s then one French Maid but 2. They both married French men and are very proud American. She and my Grandfather (Butterball yes that’s what we called him) worked hard for every penny. They even owned a motel in South Lake Tahoe.

I am honoring both my grandmother and my great-aunt by naming my daughter after them Anna from my Great-Aunt and lise from my Grandmother Elise. Annalise.

8 comments:

Special K said...

Happy Birthday! You have really good genes running in your family!

My Gram's is 97. She still amazes me.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

What a wonderful post!! Wish your Grandmother a very happy birthday from your bloggy buddies!
You are incredibly sweet for going to visit her and for naming your baby girls after her as well.

Joannah said...

Happy birthday to your grandmother! That's a lovely picture of the two of you.

Dawn and Dale said...

Happy Birthday Grandma!!!

Oh...and I think I've said this before....but I LOVE the name Annalise!!! ;)

C's Mom said...

Awesome picture!

Happy Birthday to her :0)

t~ said...

Happy Birthday Grandma! She looks great!

Robin said...

What an awesome way to honor two brave women who traveled miles to be americans. Just like your Annalise will.

Tamara said...

Meme looks wonderful. I know you are so proud to be able to name your daughter after her, what a terrific tribute.