Saturday, September 30, 2006

Mentoring Program


My agency has a new Mentoring Program to help us with the long wait. They will hook you up with a family in your area that has completed the adoption process to give you support and answer any questions you might have. Last night as I was having dinner with a friend and talking about how wonderful it will be to have Annalise home the phone rang and it was Ellan from the Mentoring Program. She told me about a local group out of Reno that gets together throughout the year. The big gathering is on Chinese New Year and they meet at the Circus-Circus Hotel in Reno. I can’t wait to connect with local family’s that have children from China. Ellan has 2 girls 8 and the other 5 and could not say enough good things about our agency now that was comforting. She gave me her favorite travel tip and that was to pack light. She said that you can have your cloths sent out to be washed but she felt weird about send out her undies so she packed old ones and just throw them away. When she ran out she when to Wal-Mart and bought new ones. Thanks for the tip. Mentoring at its finest.

7 comments:

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Sounds like a great program! I'm sure that you will learn a great deal from your connection with this family. All agencies should do this, don't you think?

C's Mom said...

What a great program!

Hey, I have to admit I like the undie tip too :0)

Joannah said...

I agree with Kathy - all agencies should do something like this. We all need to be part of a Buddy System! ;-)

Calico Sky said...

Hey paulette!
Another undie tip I had was to bring a small camera film size bottle of laundry detergent. At night put your undies in the sink with a small amount of liquid (like 1/2 the size of your pinky nail) on the garment, wash it, rinse it under the tap and hang to dry - perfect to use again and clean!

Dawn and Dale said...

What a great idea!!

We are already part of a FCC (Families with Children from China) group in our nearest city. They do a lot of get-togethers as well, especially for Chinese New year and Harvest Moon Festival. WE are heading in for a banquet in a few weeks!! I love seeing all those China girls!!! It's sooo wonderful!

4D said...

That is a gret program! I have a wonderful mentor/coordinator who is a real lifesaver and a fountain of info.

Keep smilin!

Tamara said...

What an awesome idea! I'd love to have a mentor- it means to much to get good solid info when there are so many rumors flying around. Hey- I like that underwear tip!