
My answer is not the standard and it’s a very special to me. 12 years ago I met my good friend Unkyung she is Korean with a bit of Chinese thrown in. Unkyung is a 5th grade teacher at one of the elementary schools I work for and the first time I walked into her class I know we were going to be good friends.
In 1997 Unkyung and her husband Ted became pregnant. After a month in the hospital with no amniotic fluid and hooked up to so many monitors and drugs Unkyung gave birth to Carly at 30 weeks she was 2lb-15 oz and as big as my hand.
Carly had a rough first couple of weeks but after 2 month in the hospital and a lot of prayers, she got to come home. Here she is in my arms such the proud God Mother I am.
4 years later after the tragic loss of their next baby, Unkyung and Ted became pregnant again. This time Unkyung was put on bed rest with monitors at home. I was nursing an ACL knee surgery and Unkyung and I were cared for by 4-year-old Carly. After months of bed rest it was time and I was going to get to see my first live birth. But this little one had not intentions of coming out on her own and was taken by C-section 2 weeks late.

Carly is now 8 years old and in 3 grade and top of her class. Olivia is 4 and truly Unkyung relived with blond hair.
(I will get you a curent picture when blogger cooperates)When I picture my daughter in my arms I can only see an Asian baby. Yes I know my daughter is in China and have for many years. Being a God Mother to Carly and Olivia is great but I'm now ready to a Mother to my own Asian daughter and Carly and Olivia are ready to be God Sisters too.
7 comments:
Paulette
thanks for posting this! I have some very special Asian children in my life too and when I picture myself holding a baby girl she is not caucasian!
Your God children are beautiful.
Too bad South Korea doean't allow single adopters, I just read that they are going to start allowing South korean single women (domestic) so who knows in the future?
What a wonderful post. I love the pictures and story behind your heart being in China.
You expressed the meaning of your experiences so well and the girls are beautiful!
That is such a neat story, Paulette! You seem to have some wonderful people in your life.
Oh Paulette, that story is so beautiful!!
Annalise is sooo lucky to have you!!
I can't wait for all of us who love you so much to meet Annalise! I overheard Liv and Carly talking the other night in bed. Liv asked Carly, "Do you think Annalise is born?" Carly replied, "Pretty soon Livy, pretty soon." Olivia replied, "I think I'm going to dream of her tonight..." I'm dreaming of you, Paulette and Annalise with all of us surrounding you w/ love.
Unkyung Carly and Liv,
Thanks so much. I think I'm going to dream about Annalise tonight too. What a great way to say good night sweet dreams.
What a wonderful story! It's funny but I've seen so many asian babies since starting our adoption in 2004 that all other babies look slightly odd to me! Funny how familiarity does that to you!
Liv and Carly are precious and Unkyung's story is inspiring. I hope blogger cooperates and you can post an updated picture of your God-Daughters soon.
:)
Donna
Double Happiness!
Post a Comment