Friday, October 27, 2006

Nevada Day


On October 31, 1864 Nevada was admitted to the Union and became a State. This is a State holiday for us and in 1997 the legislature decided to change the date from the 31st to the last Friday of the month thus giving us all a 3-day weekend. (Don’t you wish you lived in Nevada today) Well let the truth be known, If you asked the children of Nevada why they got October 31st off they would say because it’s Halloween. Even though Kids in Nevada were not allowed to trick-or-treat on Nevada Day they would do it on the 30th instead. For those kids that live on the boarder like us her in Douglas County the kids would jump the state line on the 31st and double dose on trick-or-treating. That was a lot of candy for one kid. Now that we observe Nevada Day today the kids get to enjoy Halloween on the same day as everyone else. But most of all I just love the day off I need it to get my midterm done for my master’s class that’s scarier then anything that could happen on Halloween/Nevada Day.

2 comments:

Joannah said...

Hey, I'm taking the day off, too! I've got three assignments due on Sunday night.

I hope you have a productive day.

p.s. We don't observe California's birthday here with a holiday, but I know it's September 9, 1850! ;-)

Calico Sky said...

boy do I wish I lived in Nevada today too (apart from the fact that my mortgage advisor wouldn't of been able to give me an appt!).
Happy Nevada Day